Monday, January 11, 2010

writing like diarrhea

Step 1: Expose Yourself

As mentioned in an earlier post, writing is a skill I want to improve. What I thought would be easy turned out to be hard. I have all these thoughts that I want to pour out but finding the right words and way to say it is hard. I also don't write about some of the things I want to write about because I don't know how to target my tornado emotions into words.

Here's an exercise that I found really useful in helping me through my writing:

If you allowed yourself to, what would be the most difficult thing you would write about? What memory keeps leaking through? What have you lived through that change your life? What has happened to you that hasn't happened to anyone else?
...
Set the timer for 15 minutes and begin to write. Begin with an action: "When I told him I was leaving, he..."; "She came to me, her face long, and she told me...". Or any other lines that begin in the middle of things.

-Pen on Fire, by Barbara DeMarco-Barrett

Step 2: Style and Voice

Writing style and voice is unique to every writer. Coming up with your own voice is something that is developped over years. I've been writing in journals since I was 11 (every since the day I got my first period). It may not be polished, interesting writing, but I've developed a kind of style.

I prefer a very casual style of writing. I want it to read as if I was talking to you. Writing style is something that needs to be worked on continuously if you want it to be consistent and good.

No comments:

Post a Comment